Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday baking - gingerbread loaf

As we bake our way through A Treasury of NZ Baking...

I love gingerbread, and this simple loaf looked worth trying. It was easy to put together, and spread with a little butter it has been an understated, but perfect morning tea morsel lately to enjoy with my daily coffee. Substantial and sweet without being too OTT or treaty. My loaf was a fraction dry - I suspect I overcooked it a little - but it was lovely all the same. I upped the amount of ground ginger, which I think it definitely needed. I don't usually go for crystallised ginger, but was so glad I included it, as this and the sultanas really made it. This loaf kept well for over a week (I think I was the only one eating it as we have had a surplus of baking in the house lately!)



gingerbread loaf - Tui Flower (Week 20)


125g butter
3/4 c brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c treacle
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger (I added 2 tsp and it still wasn't overly gingery, just nicely spiced)
1/4c crystallised ginger, chopped
1/4c candied peel, chopped (I added orange zest instead)
1/4 c sultanas
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp milk

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and treacle and mix well. Sift in dry ingredients and mix in thoroughly. Add dried fruit. Dissolve baking soda in milk and add that.

Spoon into a lined 19x7cm deep loaf tin. Bake at 160c for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. (Next time I think one hour would be plenty in my oven).


4 comments:

  1. love the addition of chrystallised ginger in this, although I still try to avoid candied peel !!! and I too end up eating most of the baking in the house ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your baking! I want to go shopping for all the ingredients, ship Louis off for the afternoon and BAKE! You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gingerbread cookies, but I can't even remember the last time I had gingerbread loaf! Must be years ago. I really want to try this recipe now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My version was strangely crunchy on the outside and sadly missing the chrystallised ginger... but a delicious loaf all the same. Thanks for your great blog - it's my favourite form of procrastination.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...