Tuesday, November 9, 2010

dinner date - burmese chicken curry



I spotted this delicious recipe for Burmese Chicken Curry a few weeks ago over at the blog pod and three peas (which is a great source of dinner inspiration, it's where I frequently get mine!) The curry recipe is from Australian cook Belinda Jeffery's book 100 Favourite Recipes. I love her book Mix & Bake, and have been trying to track this other one down in NZ but so far to no avail...Belinda Jeffery is sadly underrated this side of the Tasman.




This curry involves a fair amount of chopping at the start, but is well worth it, as once your prep is done it goes into the oven for an hour and a half to cook quietly until the meat nearly falls off the bone. If you use a stovetop to oven pan you can get away with very few dishes, just a chopping board, knife, wooden spoon and your pan. It's a great dish to make a day ahead, and can be happily reheated in a slow oven. Last time I made it, I doubled the recipe (apart from the chicken) and froze half the sauce to use next time so I will have a headstart.




It really is a delicious dinner, especially accompanied with some of the fabulous Kawan roti. Often I find homemade curry lacks the depth of flavour of those eaten out, but this one tastes really authentic, or so I imagine having never been to Burma....although Christchurch does boast NZ's only Burmese restaurant - The Bodhi Tree - which is definitely worth a visit if you are ever in town.

For the recipe, see here.

4 comments:

  1. it sure is a good curry, happy belated birthday little daisy x love those fancy pants asparagus rolls !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Did you use chicken thighs with the bone in or out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use either, usually bone in as cheaper...is also good made with drumsticks, but easiest to take the meat of the bone before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good curry and after checking out this one I'm certain I will enjoy it. Thanks for the delicious post and link!  

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...