Monday, November 29, 2010

Dinner date - ramen attempt no.1

This is my first attempt at recreating the ramen noodles we ate at a fanastic little ramen bar (Cocolo) in Berlin. It wasn't bad for a first go, but needs a few adjustments to get it closer to the real thing.

It's an easy, assembly type dinner that you can mix and match according to what you have available and what you like.

Ramen noodles (soba noodles would work well too)
Dumplings (I used bought ones but homemade would be a big improvement)
Corn kernals (freshly cut from a cob would be so much better)
Spring onions, finely sliced
Mung bean sprouts
Chicken breast, thinly sliced
Chicken stock
Miso soup (I just used a sachet)

For two servings, simmer one cup of miso soup and one cup of chicken stock. Add 8-10 dumplings and simmer for five minutes or so until they rise to the surface. Add one finely sliced chicken breast. Simmer for a further five minutes.

While you are cooking the dumpling and chicken, cook the ramen noodles according to the instructions. Drain and place noodles in bowls. Add dumplings and chicken to each bowl and ladle over some of the broth. Pile mung bean sprouts, spring onions, corn and any other additions on top.

For my next attempt I'll try a soya-based broth as the chicken/miso combination was a little on the bland side and top with some crispy shallots. I'm also going to make my own dumplings (using Plum Kitchen's recipe here) instead of being lazy and using the horrid frozen ones I picked up at New World. That turns it into less of a "quick-assembly" dinner but Plum Kitchen makes dumplings look so easy!

1 comment:

  1. How funny, I found the last of my mega batch of dunplings in the freezer at the weekend, as soon as I saw this recipe I thought yummy, I will give this a go:)The fresh corn is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...