Wednesday, November 3, 2010

thursday baking - courgette slice


As we bake our way through A Treasury of NZ Baking

I have been meaning to try this recipe for ages, in fact had photocopied it from the Zarbo Cookbook where it first appeared years ago. It is similar to the Hello Rosie slice baked a few weeks ago, but instead of condensed milk uses a rather huge amount of brown sugar and eggs.

I am still undecided on this slice. As predicted it is VERY sweet, and cloyingly so for my taste. I was tempted to reduce the sugar but stuck to the recipe. I used half a block of Whittakers dark chocolate (50% cocoa) as made with milk chocolate this would be incredibly sweet. The filling is crunchy on top and slightly gooey inside, even more so on the middle of the tray, as the outer edges were a bit more crispy. I will try it again tomorrow when I have a coffee to see what I think of it then!

It makes a huge trayful, so I suggest making it for a crowd, as with the courgette in it I don't think it will be a great keeper.


Courgette Slice - Mark McDonough - Week 28
Base
125g butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 egg (!... I just used a few tbsp of milk)
200g flour

Topping

5 eggs
3 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
3 tbsp flour
100g sliced almonds
2 1/4 c long thread coconut
1 c chocolate chips
2 1/4 c grated courgette (grate just prior to mixing)

Preheat oven to 180c. Line a 20x30cm slice tin with baking paper.

To make the base beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until creamy. Add the egg, then the flour, stirring to combine. Press into prepared tin in a thin layer. Bake for approx 15 mins until golden brown.

To make the topping combine eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and salt and mix well. Mix in the flour, coconut and chocolate. Grate the courgette and mix this in too. Spread topping over the prepared base and bake at 180c for approx 30-40 minutes. The cooking time will vary according to the amount of moisture in the courgettes. The slice should be firm to touch but soft on the inside.

Cool then cut into slices.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the taste. I will be honest and say I was a little hesitant about courgette in a slice, but it was delicious. It didn’t taste healthy at all! However I do have a very sweet tooth! Thanks again was a great study treat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...