Wednesday, September 14, 2011

blueberry and custard scones


Ever since seeing these berry and custard-filled scones on Lesley's blog eat, etc they have been on my hit-list.  We have had builders in completing some renovations, and this was one of the baked goods that was served up for their morning tea (don't you love an excuse to bake excessively...)  I changed the original recipe from dried cranberries to blueberries, as we didn't have any craisins, plus I just love the combination of blueberry and custard.  I used frozen berries that I heated with a squeeze of lemon juice and then thickened with a little custard powder so it wouldn't be too wet a filling.

These scones are beautiful.  A sweet take on my favourite potato scone recipe, where the scone dough is richer than normal and bordering on pastry, so they have a lovely flakily crisp crust. I was unsure if I needed to ice them but it really does make them - so I suggest you do.

Next time I will try Lesley's cranberry version - I also think they would be superb with custard's best friend rhubarb.

blueberry and custard scones - makes 12

 
1 c blueberries
squeeze lemon
1 tsp custard powder mixed to a slurry with a little water
3 cups standard flour
3 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 pinch salt
200g butter, diced or grated
milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups custard (make custard following packet directions)


Preheat oven to 220°C.

Place blueberries in a saucepan, if frozen cook til defrosted, add custard powder and cook til thick. Make custard following packet directions  and leave to cool.
Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Rub in the butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough milk to form a soft, but not sticky, dough – use a palette knife to bring the mixture together. Roll dough into a large rectangle and cut in half. Brush both halves with the beaten egg.

Spread the custard over one half of the dough and dollop over the berry mix. Place the other half of the dough on top. Brush the top with beaten egg. Cut into 12 pieces, place on a lined baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes.

When cooled slightly but still warm, drizzle the scones with a thin icing -  I spiked mine with a squeeze of lemon.
                                         

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, that is going on my "to-do" baking list as soon as we get home from England. I'm having trouble envisioning the baked custard, but I trust you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked them and your photo looks great. I was wondering why I had so many views on the post - thanks for the mention:)

    Funnily enough a Scottish blogger (http://maggieskitchenmenus.blogspot.com/) commented yesterday that she was off to make them with rhubarb so I'm keen to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I saw these on Lesley's blog too and have been meaning to try them. Blueberries would be gorgeous! Yours look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...