Thursday, October 28, 2010

thursday baking - lemon, lime and poppyseed syrup cake



I love the Meyer lemons that are around at the moment - lovely and juicy with bright yellow zest - the perfect lemon for baking with. They were on special at the supermaket last week so I bought a bowlful (I don't have my own lemon tree, sadly) and made these loaves. The recipe says to use a ring tin but I made these cute wee loaves. I had intentions of freezing some but they were so yummy they all got eaten before they made it to the freezer.

The addition of lime made these little loaves especially tangy - I'm going to try using a mix of lemon and lime next time I make my favourite lemon yoghurt cake (Alison Holst's recipe) as although delicious, this recipe didn't have the keeping qualities of the Alison Holst recipe. This surprised me as I expected drowning the little loaves in syrup would have kept them moist but instead they were showing their age after a couple of days.

Lemon, lime and poppyseed syrup cake - Catherine Bell -Week 27


Cake
125g butter, softened
2 tsp finely grated lime zest
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
250g castor sugar
3 eggs
200g flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp poppy seeds
100ml natural yoghurt

Syrup
3 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp castor sugar

Preheat oven to 180c. Place butter, lime and lemon zest in bowl of cake mixer and blend well until light and creamy. Add sugar gradually, beating well after every addition. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Combine the flour, bp and seeds and fold into the butter, alternating with the yoghurt. Spoon into a greased and lined 4-cup capacity ring (or bundt) tin. Bake 30-35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow cake to stand in tin for 5 mins, then turn onto a rack.

To make the syrup combine all ingredients in a small pan, simmer, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved, then boil for 3 minutes without stirring. Poke holes all over cake with a skewer or fork, and pour syrup over the hot cake. Serve warm or cold with dollops of yoghurt.



1 comment:

  1. Squee! You can get Meyer lemons in NZ now? I always read about them on U.S blogs but had never seen them (nor here in Austria where I live, boo). Gonna be home for Xmas so I'll look out for them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...