Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday baking - rhubarb and strawberry shortcake



The other week I had a random selection of toppings left over from my porridge stall at the farmers market, roasted rhubarb, raspberry coulis, apple and blackcurrant compote and some blueberry compote. I wanted to make something for pudding, and crumble was the obvious choice, but I have crumble fatigue at the moment, having made so many to sell at the market. So it was the perfect opportunity to try Lois Daish's shortcake recipe, using my mishmash of leftover fruit. I didn't measure the fruit at all, and probably used quite a bit more than the recipe called for.

This was a lovely pudding, but we also enjoyed it the next day, cut into wedges and served cold from the fridge. Next time instead of making it in a round cake tin as advised I might use a square one and then cut it into squares to serve as a slice. Either way, it worked. In summer I will try it with strawberries, as they are such a perfect partner to rhubarb, but we loved the flavour of the mixed berryfruit with the tart rhubarb and granny smiths.

My adapted recipe below is in extreme shorthand, apologies but my earthquake-obsessed-sleep-deprived brain just doesn't have the energy or desire to quote Lois word for word (fellow food bloggers is there anything more tedious than transcribing other people's recipes verbatim onto said blogs?!) Thankfully Daisy and I are about to depart to more stable and sunny climes, and Miriam will be joining us shortly, so LWD may be a little quiet for the next wee while...

rhubarb and strawberry shortcake - Lois Daish (Week 24)

3-ish cups of cooked fruit

125g butter
125g sugar
1 egg
225g flour
25g cornflour
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 180c. Line the bottom of a 20cm cake tin with baking paper. Cream soft butter and sugar, add egg, sift in dry ingredients. Spread 2/3 of this mix into the cake tin, pressing it evenly over base and up sides. Top with prepped fruit, and crumble the remaining shortcake over this. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! And a good way to use up leftover fruit. Happy holidays to you, Daisy & Miriam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, when I blog a recipe, it's usually about a quarter of the length of the original. With lots of "but I did this" or "you could try this" comments along the way. In fact, I just started on a rhubarb cake post tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks truly amazing! Would win a competition I think. Well by looks anyway, if only I could taste it!! I can hear you saying.... That's what the recipe is for. Glad you're getting a break from aftershocks. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really want to make this right now !!!!!! yum i just love the name too, remember strawberry shortcake dolls ?? my little sister had the scratch n sniff version !! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...