Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday baking - bran biscuits

As we bake our way through A Treasury of NZ Baking...

Something savoury this week....I love a good oat biscuit with cheese, so thought I would try these bran biscuits to see how they stacked up. They are quick to make, and so much nicer than crackers you can buy. The mixture was really dry, there didn't seem to be nearly enough liquid to dry ingredients, so I added at least 1/4 c milk to make a dough.

They were quite nice, great for a filling (fibre rich!) mid morning or afternoon snack topped with some aged cheddar and quince paste. I think I prefer the texture of oat biscuits to the bran ones though, and will post my favourite recipe for these next time I make a batch.

bran biscuits (Amanda Laird) - week 18

100g butter, softened
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 c bran
1/2 c wholemeal flour
1 c self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180c

Cream the butter and sugar until pale, add the egg and beat well. Stir in the combined dry ingredients, then tip onto a floured surface and knead lightly. (I had to add milk at this stage).

Roll out and cut into rounds, 5mm thick. Bake on a greased or lined tray for about 20 minutes. (I turned the biscuits over half way through so they browned evenly).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...