Tuesday, March 9, 2010

blast from the past


As a youngster, I used to love making russian fudge. I went through a phase where I’d make a batch every few weeks – I seemed to crave that intense sweetness far more than I do now.

Its been years since I’ve made fudge, but when I saw some condensed milk in the fridge that needed using, I thought I’d resurrect my fudge making skills and whip up some russian fudge. I used the same recipe I always had – the one from the Edmonds cook book. Although we were out of golden syrup I instead added a teaspoon of brown sugar (figuring it would help give the fudge that golden look). The fudge turned out perfectly with melt in the mouth sweetness. Unlike in the 80’s/90’s I can now only cope with about one piece of fudge before I start to feel ill. I think this is probably a very good thing!

Russian Fudge - from Edmonds cookbook
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
125g butter
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of golden syrup

Gently heat sugar and milk in a saucepan, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Add sweetened condensed milk, butter, pinch of salt, and golden syrup. Stir until the butter has melted then bring to the boil, stiring often. Once the fudge reachs the soft ball stage take it off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Beat it until it thickens. Pour into a buttered tin and mark into squares. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Got a piece from Miriam. Looks exactly the same as in the picture.really sweet and delicious. Effortless to eat as it melts quickley in the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You obviously haven't lost your fudge-making skills - looks good! I had used to have difficulty making Russian fudge without it catching on the bottom of the pot and burning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Miriam, why did you never tell us this while you worked here? The Russian Fudge looks awesome, and now I have a craving for russian fudge - I'll have to shoot out and find some at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby - I have a really good Russian fudge recipe that you make in the micorwave so no chance of burning. Let me know if you'd like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...