Tuesday, May 17, 2011

dinner date - baked bacon, mushroom and spinach risotto

When I wrote my list here of things to look forward to about winter, I forgot to add risotto. Risotto must be one of the ultimates in comfort food - warm, creamy, carbs. I find the process of constantly stirring the rice until each cup of stock is absorbed somewhat therapeutic. However, sometimes it's nice to have risotto without all that admin. In this case, baked risotto is the answer. This risotto recipe by Donnah Hay (with the adaptation of wine and herbs) was published a couple of months ago in Canvas Magazine that comes with the Weekend Herald.

Spinach and mushroom baked risotto
40g butter
4 rashers bacon, rind removed and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
300g brown mushrooms, halved
2 cups arborio rice
1.5 liters of chicken stock & white wine (use whatever proportions you like)
10g butter, extra
1 cup parmesan, finely grated
100g baby spinach leaves
fresh herbs
cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 200C. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook for 5 mins or until softened. Add the mushroom and cook for 5 mins or until golden. Add the rice and stock + wine, cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake for 40 mins or until rice is tender. Add the extra butter, parmesan and fresh herbs and stir to combine. Top with spinach leaves and pepper to serve.

3 comments:

  1. I love an oven baked risotto, no sore arms !! looks totally yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this for dinner tonight. So delicious and such an easy way to make risotto. Not that I made it... I emailed recipe to J and he made it while I was out. He followed the recipe to the letter and it worked beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so brilliant - as much as I love Nigella I get annoyed with her blathering on about how soothing it is to stand at the stove stirring risotto. Not in my house it's not! This looks delish, will put it on the must-eat list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...