Saturday, April 24, 2010

celebrating the ANZACs

Most years around ANZAC day I pull out my Edmonds Cookbook and whip up a batch of ANZAC biscuits. When I lived in Edinburgh, my Australian friend Dylan and I marked ANZAC day by baking a bulk amount of the iconic biscuits and distributing them to antipodeans at the Walkabout pub!

I detest coconut so always leave it out of the recipe which changes the biscuits a bit, but for the better in my opinion. These are fairly basic, but rather nice if you feel like something relatively plain to nibble on. The golden syrup gives an almost hokey pokey like flavour. Here’s the recipe if you feel inclined to do some ANZAC baking;

ANZAC Biscuits from Edmonds Cookbook
½ cup plain flour
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup coconut (I leave this out)
¾ cup rolled oats
50g butter
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons boiling water

Mix together flour, sugar, coconut and rolled oats. Melt butter and golden syrup. Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water and add to butter and golden syrup. Stir butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Place level tablespoons of mixture onto a lined tray. Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes or until golden.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...